Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Kings Speech and THE KING OF KINGS

This afternoon my sweet husband took me to see a movie I've wanted to see for some time now, The King's Speech.  It was every bit as good as I hoped and more.  The movie is the true story of Prince Albert (Bertie), Duke of York, second son of King George V.  As second successor to the throne, Prince Albert never intended to occupy the throne; that was the duty of his older brother, David.   Still as a royal he was expected to make official speeches, a terrifying thought for someone who stuttered from early childhood.  His stuttering - at least from his perspective - was the result of abuse received by a nanny as well as tormenting from his brothers.  Though he had tried speech therapy to no avail, his wife found an unconventional therapist by the name of Lionel Logue who was able to convince Prince Albert that he could make progress in conquering his stammer.  When Prince Albert's father died, his brother, David, became King, but later abdicated the throne in order to marry a twice divorced American woman, Wallace Simpson.  Because the King of England is also the head of the Church of England, it was not permissible to marry a divorced woman.  With this reality, Prince Albert became the assuming King of England as King George the VI.  In assuming the throne, King George needed Logue's help in his coronation ceremony as well as the most significant "Declaration of War" when England declared war against Hitler's Germany.  The movie ended with a powerful scene of King George VI, with just 40 minutes to practice his speech techniques with Logue, nailing his speech and securing the affection of His nation.

I'm not much a movie buff, but I do believe this movie was brilliantly scripted and marvelously acted.  With British culture and accent abounding, I was reminded of my father and was filled with deep sentiment.  It was a beautiful movie.  When I left, I immediately called my mom, because she had previously seen the movie and had raved about it.  We compared our thoughts and, being a wise theologian, she noted that Moses also had a stammer, and God used him in a mighty way.

When Moses enters the Biblical scene God is unveiling His plan to redeem a people to Himself.  He had birthed what would be the nation of Israel through Abraham and, once established in number, God planned to use Moses to rescue His people from slavery in Egypt under Pharoah and lead them into the Promised Land - all this a beautiful picture of our liberation from slavery in sin to freedom found in Christ. Moses is chillin' in Midian tending sheep when God calls to him from a burning bush and declares that He is sending Moses to Pharaoh to bring His people, the Israelites, out of Egypt and into the Promised Land.  Among Moses' many excuses, his last excuse follows: "O God, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant.  I am slow of speech and tongue."  God's response: "Who gave man his mouth?  Who makes him deaf or mute?  Who gives him sight or makes him blind.  Is it not I, the LORD.  Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say." (Exodus 4:10 - 12)

Several thoughts. We all have our deficits.  Right now I'm dealing with a chronic respiratory issue that has flared up and has slowed me down considerably.  I also tend to stutter in times of nervousness.  I am currently dealing with issues of self-control particularly as it pertains to emotions.  These and many other vices remind me daily that God, the Kings of Kings, is the only one who is perfect.  Like King George VI and Moses, I am humbled that he would use such an imperfect creature as myself for His divine purposes however insignificant my life may seem compared to English and Biblical nobility.  Again I am reminded of God's words in II Corinthians 12:9, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."  But oh what a joy it will be when Christ returns and His redemptive purposes will be accomplished.  It will be done.  All things will be made new including a stammering tongue.  The tongue that once stuttered will eloquently proclaim along with the heavenly hosts and every nation, tribe, and tongue, "Holy, Holy, Holy!  You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things and by your will they were created and have their being."

Two side notes:
1. The Kings Speech is rated R mostly because of the expletives used by Bertie and Lionel in therapy.  While I believe the movie is brilliant, I wanted you to be aware that there is language in the movie.
2. This post reminds me of a newsletter I sent while living on the Westside of Chicago and witnessing God work through many impaired peoples, myself included.  I am going to find that newsletter and share it in connection to this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment