Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Heart for the Poor

I am grateful that God fashions our heart with specific passions.  As Christians, we should all have a general care and concerns for that which God cares and is concerned about.  But it does seem that some people are specifically passionate about one area or another, be it sharing the verbal message of the gospel, discipling the maturing Believer, reaching the nations, the in depth study of God, etc.  For me, I cannot deny that God has fashioned my heart with a specific passion for the poor. 

My heart preceded my theology.  For years I knew my heart bent towards the poor and oppressed, but couldn't really lay out from Scripture why this was important.  God has graciously made that clear throughout the last several years.  

This morning I was reading The Gospel Primer, by Milton Vincent.  This book was a gift from my sweet sister, Rachel, whose friendship continually points me to Jesus.  As I read through various parts of the book, I came across a section entitled, "A Heart for the Poor."  This section was a beautiful encapsulation of the theology of my heart for the poor.

Vincent says:
"Like nothing else could ever do, the gospel instills in me a heart for the downcast, the poverty-stricken, and those in need of physical mercies, especially when such persons are of the household of faith.
When I see persons who are materially poor, I instantly feel a kinship with them, for they are physically what I was spiritually when my heart was closed to Christ.  perhaps some of them are in their condition because of sin, but so was I.  Perhaps they are unkind when I try to help them; but I, too, have been spiteful to God when He has sought to help me.  Perhaps they are thankless and even abuse the kindness I show them, but how many times have I been thankless and used what God has given me to serve selfish ends?
Perhaps a poverty-stricken person will be blessed and changed as a result of some kindness I show him.  If so, God be praised for His grace through me.  but if the person walks away unchanged by my kindness, then I still rejoice over the opportunity to love as God loves.  Perhaps the person will repent with time; but for now, my heart is chastened and made wiser by the tangible depiction of what I myself have done to God on numerous occasions.
The gospel remind me daily of the spiritual poverty into which I was born and also of the staggering generosity of Christ towards me.  Such reminders instill in me both a felt connection to the poor and a desire to show them the same generosity that has been lavished on me.  When ministering to the poor with these motivations, I not only preach the gospel to them through word and deed, but I reenact the gospel to my own benefit as well."
I hope this encourages your heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment