Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Alexandra Gaskins: The Triathlete???

Those who know me know that I don't swim, bike, or run.  In fact I tried swimming when my ankles swelled to the size of grapefruits, got half way down one lane, and decided to switch over to senior water aerobics.  A logical question is "why in the world is someone who doesn't swim, bike, or run doing a triathlon?"  Two simple responses: 1. Someone believing in you is powerful!  I never considered doing a triathlon until Annah Matthews suggested I participate and told me I could do it.  She didn't just say it once.  She said it several times, and I started to believe that she really thought I could be a triathlete.  That was a strong motivator!
2. This is a baby or "sprint" triathlon designed for beginners.  The Rambling Rose is a 250 yard swim, an 8 mile bike ride, and a 2 mile run.  And somehow I'm told that this is a baby race.  I'm not gonna lie; any one of these activities - swimming 10 laps, biking 8 miles, and running 2 miles - would seem daunting to me separately, let along put them together back-to-back.  But I figure if I'm ever going to do a triathlon, this is the one to do.
I started training July 18th.  I began by seeing where I was athletically.  I could swim about one lap without stopping, I could run one mile, and I could bike about 2 miles.  With only five weeks to train, I wasn't sure how I was going to complete the race without hyperventilating.  But I have been so encouraged by the endurance gained over the past 4 weeks. 
Several observed motivators:
- Train with a group.  There are a whole host of us training together and we have been each others cheerleaders.  For those who are uber competitive (I can be that person), there is an inner-satisfaction of beating a teammate.
- Have benchmarks.  When I first started running, I tracked the mileage in my car driving down Darwick (main road off of our neighborhood).  Cash Lovell Stables is about a mile down the road, Triad Christian Fellowship Church plant is about a mile and a half down the road, and then the end of Darwick is about two miles.  I started by trying to run to the stables (about died!).  When I reached the stables, I slapped the mailbox in victory.  Gradually I was able to run to Triad Christian Fellowship and slap their mailbox (no damage done...promise). And then finally I was able to run all the way down Darwick and slap the stop sign (happy to stop, thank you.).
- Have a theme song(s).  Is it strange that I have the "Chariots of Fire" theme song, "We Are The Champions," and the "Rocky" theme song playing in my mind when I train?  Well, I do.  And it helps.  And it's fun.
The race is this Sunday.  I don't have a time goal; I just want to complete the race.  Completion will be a great accomplishment for me, especially having a chronic respiratory condition that has been at the forefront of my mind and has kept me sobered throughout the training.
Our tri-coach queen, Annah, posted this verse at the end of one of her emails and I thought it was perfectly fitting.  "Train yourself for Godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, Godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come." I Timothy 4:7-8  As much as I have enjoyed training for the Rambling Rose (honest!), I hope that I am more zealous for training myself in Godliness.

2 comments:

  1. You are AWESOME! I'm so proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All things are possible Alexandra. I liked the fact that you stated "someone believing in you is powerful". I believe in you. You can do it! You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete